Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter

Subject: Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter
From: "Thorsten Kahrau" <oly@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:32:44 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Rikard Björklind <rikard.bjorklind.4077@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 7:19 PM

> Thanx, I think I understand the good sides of the mechanical shutter now.
> However, I am a little confused. If the mechanical shutter is so good, why
> is there at all an electrical one?
> /Rikard B

The mechanical shutter like any other mechanical device tends to wear out.
The exposuretimes become inprecise after some time and the shutter has to be
readjusted.
Long absence from use (years) can have the same effect on a mechanical
shutter.
With an electronical shutter the exposuretimes should stay precise as long
as it works at all.
That usally is not so, because the shuttercurtains etc. are of course
mechanical, too.
Usually a mechanical shutter needs more service than an electronical one.
I believe that is one reason for the existence of the electronical shutter.
The second, I would guess, is that an electronical shutter is cheaper to
produce.

ATB
Thorsten