Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter

Subject: Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:30:13 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:19, Rikard =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rklind?=  wrote:
>Thanx, I think I understand the good sides of the mechanical shutter now.
>However, I am a little confused. If the mechanical shutter is so good, why
>is there at all an electrical one?
>/Rikard B

In one word: AUTOMATION.  With an electronically controlled shutter,
it is possible to have all kinds of automatic exposure capabilities,
ranging from the typical aperture preferred auto exposure to shutter
preferred to complete programmed mode.  An electronic shutter also
makes it possible to have OTF exposure, and makes TTL flash control
much easier.  And of course, all of the above were made possible
because of the stepless shutter that can be closed electronically at
any time.
        -Dan