AF IS lenses was Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places

Subject: AF IS lenses was Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:14:19 GMT
Doris wrote:

>  I have to admit that this is one of the things that is driving me
>towards Canon's (and now Nikon's) IS technology.

IS technology has its problems. Here is a slice from Robert Monaghan's page
on the problems of autofocus, to be found at:
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/third/af.html

"image stabilization acts by injecting additional optical elements (and
moving ones at that) into the optics of your IS lens. Other OEM lens makers
have claimed that the resulting degradation and impact on lens performance
from image stabilization optics is so bad that they refuse to come out with
such an IS lens until the defects can be remedied."

This long (235kb) page discusses in detail some of the shortcomings of
autofocus, and was probably brought to my attention via this mailing list.
However, some list members may not have read it yet. Please excuse the late
reply, I've had my hands full over the weekend.

Simon E.