[OM] 28/3.5 bokeh :)

Subject: [OM] 28/3.5 bokeh :)
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 02:58:19 PST
Hi Acer (and others),

A bit of a late reply, but I didn't see any further mention of an answer in the other digests, so:

I think it's the bright light source (sky) that goes bad. The general
tree-limbs/grass/etc isn't so bad.

Yes, that seems to have a lot to do with it. The pictures you took were lovely, but for the harsh bokeh which is somewhat disturbing.

The ADITL3 was cropped top part to remove the sky-gone-awry-bokeh.

I see, so that picture suffered from the same problem...

If anyone has 'em, I'd like to see more bokeh pix of bright (sky) to see how it is.

Well, check this out:
http://www.web-wizards.com/cgi-bin/show_picture.cgi?country=holl&num=2

and compare it to:
http://www.web-wizards.com/cgi-bin/show_picture.cgi?country=holl&num=3

Both pictures were taken on the same day, using the same lens (the 65-200/4), and of similar subjects (leaves with sky in between). The former picture has terrible bokeh in the background, whereas the bokeh in the latter picture is much nicer. Go figure...

Actually, I remember some other shots of this session to have bokeh that was _so_ terrible that I just couldn't believe it when I saw it. I might scan one of those pictures some day and title it "The king of bad bokeh" :)

I really wonder how my 100/2 (which I didn't have at that time) or the 135/2.8 would have rendered the bokeh in these pictures.

Cheers!
Olafo