Re: [OM] film longevity

Subject: Re: [OM] film longevity
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:45:59 -0600
>This does not sound terribly practical.  If you are bracketing each way
>then say that is three exposures.  Then you need another three for the
>archival copy.  That is 6 shots for your one keeper.  I am not questioning
>the cost of the film, just the practicality of this and the discipline
>required.  We can all see the family happily standing around while we
>shoot 6 of everything can't we ?
>
>A problem I would have is that I often don't know what is a great shot
>in advance of getting the film processed.

There has been more than one occasion that I have shot multiple in-camera
dupes.  One time I shot four rolls on one composition using two different
cameras and two different lenses just to make sure that I got the shot.  I
bracketed every which way AND south!  The lighting was high contrast and
exposure was critical.  As it turned out, the Sunny-16 exposure was the
most accurate--but doggone it, that was the one non-dupe shot!

Nowadays, dupes are becomming less important because almost all of my
clients now are scanning.  I can either have them scanned myself or take
them down to the nearest service bureau to get drum scanned and FTP'd to
them.  The slides never have to leave my hands.  Besides, once digitized by
a good drum scanner to a 300-400MB file, you can make as many BETTER dupes
than the origional anyway.  (ie John Shaw).

Ken Norton