Re: [OM] om2sp

Subject: Re: [OM] om2sp
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:11:25 -0500
Hi Rikard,
Welcome to the ranks of OM-2sp owners.  Yes, it is definitely worth it
to search for silver oxide as they will last much longer.  The 2sp does
not have an off switch and, even sitting on the shelf, is constantly
drawing about 20 micro-amps.  If you don't remove the batteries it will
probably eat a pair of alkalines in about 2 months even if you don't use
the camera.

There is a lot of discussion about this in the list archives including
notes from John Hermanson on the proper way to measure the current
drain.  Until I found the list and the following FAQs from Lee Hawkins I
thought my 2sp was defective... that it must have an internal short.
Using the info I found on the list I now know that my 2sp is perfectly
normal but still battery hungry. Switching to silver oxide has
definitely improved the battery life.  I also remove the batteries
sometimes now also.  To make for easier and quicker handling of the
batteries I tape two of them together as a cylinder by using a narrow
band of tape around the perimeter.  I'm sure it saves only a few seconds
but I find that I am more likely now to actually remove the batteries
since I started doing this.

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA
---------------------------------------

Hi again, I just bought an OM-2sp for a very nice price, ...
The other thing I've been thinking about is the batteries themselves.
Everyone says that silver oxide batteries is better than alkalines. But
how much better are they? I've been using the same pair of alkalines for
two years now (with my OM-2), and I recently put them in the OM-2sp, and
they are working fine there.
Is it worth it too search for silveroxide? At least here in sweden the
alkalines are easier to find :-).
Thanx,
(btw.this list rocks!!!)
/Rikard.B