Re: [OM] Lens Hoods and crazy collectors

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Hoods and crazy collectors
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:26:03 -0500
Cc: pfranklin@xxxxxxxx
Phillip,

Whoever said that passionate collectors were rational? Some persons with relatively unlimited funds will pay almost any price to complete collections. Especially for VERY hard-to-find items like this hood. I, like many, believe that there are some shenanigans going on with this particular item, given the bidding history. But that doesn't diminish the fact that some were willing to pay $500-600+ for the hood, which sounds ludicrous to me, much less $5,000+.

You only have to look at the history of collectors paying $40-60 million for paintings and $2-3 million for JFK memorabilia to understand this. I live in the NYC area and there are some pretty sick puppies around here that would think nothing of paying $5,000 for an item that they REALLY wanted. It's almost pocket change. Look at the prices paid for designer dresses and unique jewelry items. $25,000 for a dress?! $1.5 million for a necklace?! You have to put it in perspective. If I got $1 million ++ bonuses every year, I'd certainly indulge myself somewhere. And if it was that hood to complete my 21mm Nikon RF lens, what the hell, I'd do it. It's only money.

Now back to reality as I work on my monthly bills. Lets' see . . . how am I going to pay THAT bill this month?

Skip