Re: [OM] Question on night shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Question on night shooting
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:09:17 -0500
It depends on the subject you are shooting. If it is nature, low sky
light, I have had the best results with Velvia, which has the least
color shift and reciprocity failure with long exposures. Here is a
table for the "approximate" reciprocity correction needed for long
exposure times from John Shaw's book *Landscape Photography*, p83.

Film             1sec    4sec    8sec    16sec    1min
Kodachrome 25    +0.5    +1.0    +1.5    +2.0     +3.5
Kodachrome 64    +1.0    +1.5    +2.0    +2.5     +3.66
Fuji Velvia       -0-    -0-     +0.5    +0.66    +1.33
Fjuichrome 100    -0-    -0-     +0.3    +0.66    +2.66

He uses Velvia for long exposure and no color correction. Interesting
in that Kodak does not recommend using Kodachrome 25, 64, 200 or
Ektachrome 100x for exposures 10 seconds or greater. Fuji does not
recommend their film for exposures at 1min.

Wayne
J.S. wrote:

Hi all,
     I am planning on doing some night shooting soon. I wonder if
     anyone out there with night photography experience [color, in
     fairly well lit town] can suggest what film [slide and or print]
     to use. What works best for you? Thanks! J.S.