Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter

Subject: Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:22:07 +0000
My thoughts were that there were factors other than the shutter mechanism
which could more easily explain the perceived difference.

The first thing which occurred to me was that perhaps the shots you took
with the OM1 were better composed, as you mentioned.  As Doris might say
perhaps the OM1 dances in your hands while the 4Ti is just a lifeless
tool.

I also wondered whether the same film type was used in each camera and
whether the size of the enlargements were the same and processed by the
same lab at the same time and with the same settings.

The next thing which occurred to me was exposure.  The 4Ti in auto mode
will use an exact shutter speed to match the aperture selected, using
speeds like 1/75 if that is appropriate,  whereas with the OM1 you might
have had to set the nearest shutter speed or aperture to that indicated by
the meter so you could be up to a 1/2 stop out.  Perhaps in such
circumstances you always go for slight over exposure?  Now I would think
this should not be very noticeable given the correction the lab would
likely apply but perhaps it was if indeed such metering situations did
occur. Another possibility is that there is a variation between the meters
in the two cameras.

Then there is the hocus pocus of psychology and subliminal cues.  Perhaps
when you presented the photos to people for their opinions you
inadvertently gave them a clue as to which you thought were the better
shots so they picked up on that and gave a response they thought you would
most like them to.

I in no way meant to question your findings.  It is just that I thought,
and still do, that the shutter mechanisms themselves were unlikely to have
made a difference.  I thought it much more likely that metering and thus
exposure differences were the culprit.

I haven't done similar tests as I do not have a manual shutter OM.

Giles

Samuel