Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places -Reply
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:37:11 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Frank Ernens wrote:

|Scott Nelson wrote
|
|What isn't allowed is using a camera on landing and take-off, because
|it could become a missile in a mishap. If turbulence is expected
|they might want you to put your camera away too. Perhaps some
|airlines are paranoid about CAT.

I have never had anyone question my photo making on takeoffs/landings,
and I have been doing this for years.  Those are some of the best
photo opportunities, although one needs to focus and shoot more
quickly to accommodate subjects which are moving rapidly relative to
the photographer.

With respect to the "missile in a mishap" angle, whenever shooting in
a (potentially) precarious situation (e.g., over a cliff, from a
moving vehicle) where there exists a possibility for damage to
bystanders, photographer or equipment, one needs to keep a firm grip
on one's camera and ensure that the camera strap is around the neck to
prevent droppage.