RE: [OM] Delaminating

Subject: RE: [OM] Delaminating
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:51:31 -0500
I have a 50/1.4 with the "silvery bloom". No problems with it.
I was in Midwest Photo ~ 3 weeks ago and saw a Tamron lens with similar
bloom. When I remarked about it, the guys in the large format dept. told me
to not worry about it.  Almost all Rodenstock lenses have bloom they said.
Never a problem they said.  Never a problem...
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

Here in Sydney Australia,  1980's vintage Rodenstock large format lenses had
the unfortunate habit of delaminating. Nearly every one you cared to look at
had silvery bloom (by the light of the silvery bloom...) visible just
beneath the front element. I'm talking 360mm lenses for studio work... the
bloom could cover 25% to 330f the aperture.
Apparently it never happend anywhere else in the world except Australia!
Their owners always claimed it made no difference to image quality, because
the lens was used stopped down to f16 anyway. I avoided them and used
Schneider -- that was back when I was into 4x5. I've never seen a Schneider
lens delaminate. And except for architecture, I never made a decent image
with large format. My OM1 and OM2 really match my way of working and seeing.

From: Mike Bloor <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>:

A long time ago I was told that the test for this was to look through the
lens at a point close to (but not at) the sun.  Any separation in a glued
group should show up as a white cloud.