Re: [OM] tripods!

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods!
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:58:58 EST
>Hi Dirk,
>
>    I have the same "cheap" Tiltall! Why did you pick the Brom and do
you
>expect to see a subjective difference?
>
>Alex

Well, there is some risk in this purchase. I couldn't find a
manufacturer's web page for the tripod for example, so I don't know the
extent of features that it offers. However, I was convinced by the
"wood is better" argument. I can't afford a Ries tripod (500$ and up),
so this will hopefully be useful. Another selling point for me was the
fact that it has the standard 3/8" stud for mounting heads on the
centerpost. So, I can use any of a number of heads on it, as the
situation dictates. Finally, I tend to be swayed more by science than
by fashion, so the fact that the movie industry, the surveying business
and many large format users choose wood tripods is more important to me
than the latest carbon fiber wonder 'pod. (although CF is supposedly
excellent at absorbing vibration)

The tiltall is not a "system" tripod, and I can't stand fiddling with
the camera securing screw that doesn't really work!

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright