RE: [OM] Question on night shooting

Subject: RE: [OM] Question on night shooting
From: "JOHN SCHEUERER" <jhs8956@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:58:15 EST
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "'olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: "'jhs8956@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <jhs8956@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:37:43 -0000

Hi John,

you wrote:

>> I am planning on doing some night shooting soon.
>> I wonder if anyone out there with night photography
>> experience [color, in fairly well lit town] can suggest
>> what film [slide and or print] to use. What works best
>> for you?

If you are using a tripod then there is little reason not to
use a slow film to maximise quality, unless you are intentionally
after a grainy look.

There is quite a good book on night and available-light photography
by Ian Frost (I think). In it he makes this same point and mentions
that he uses Velvia for almost all his night shooting.

I also used Velvia for some night (tripod) pictures in Venice last
year and I was very pleased with the results. I just used the OM4 on
auto and the exposures turned out well without any bracketing, though
I may just have been lucky.

IMHO reciprocity failure is just something to be aware of, not to fear.
Small colour shifts are less significant in night shooting as the colours
are "unnatural" to start with.

Best of luck,

Brian

         Thanks Brian,

          I'm curious to see what sodium vapor,halogen,and
          tungsten lighting combined with flourescent store signs
          will look like on slide and print film. I'll be happy
           to get a few sharp and close to realistic shots plus
          maybe a few rainy night scenes,light trails from traffic,
          blurred passers by  etc.. Yknow, the usual
          night scene stuff. The ideas keep comin.

                                         Cheers!
                                             J.S.