Re: [OM] Going autofocus (Was 300mm 2.8 and things to come!!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Going autofocus (Was 300mm 2.8 and things to come!!)
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 06:39:09 -0500
At 10:22 PM 3/24/00 -0500, you wrote:
 And, after all, one could always turn
off the autofocus for those " truly creative" images.

Therein lies the rub. No, you can't get the same manual performance from an AF camera that you can from a true manual. Only the most expensive pro cameras and lenses can come even close. And for that extra price you pay a serious weight and bulk penalty too.

One of the things I like about the Nikon AF-S lenses is that while holding down the shutter release one can easily 'touch up' the focus manually. I believe the Contax 645 works the same way. Finally, useful AF.

However as you point out there certainly is a price to be paid for this, both in dollars and weight.

On the subject of weight, I met Skip the other day and he brought his 35-80 2.8. I had always heard on this list that this was an enormous piece of glass, yet I found it to be not large at all, at least by current standards. Anyone thinking of buying one should definitely heft it first before being put off!

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at