[OM] Re: Focus, Focusing, Optics

Subject: [OM] Re: Focus, Focusing, Optics
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 08:26:48 -0500
At an inch away I don't think any of us would be able to focus.  I don't
know the exact distance but the lens between your eye and the prism
changes the apparent distance to the screen to maybe 1/2 meter or more.
Those of us who can see at that distance are OK, others will need some
dioptric correction.

Near and far sightedness should be correctable with eyeglasses or
dioptric correction on the camera.  Other eye problems like cataracts
and previously detached retina are not so easily resolved.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Hello list,
    I'm really confused about focus and diopters.  My knowledge of
optics
amounts practically nil compared to most of ya'll, but I thought that
when
an image is focused on the screen it is a "real image"  So isn't it only
about an inch from your eye?  Aren't near sighted people still able to
focus
correctly on a screen with no correction?  I understand that they can't
see
the tree way out there, but when it's in focus on the screen, shouldn't
it
be just_as_in focus as if they were looking at these letters from about
one
inch?

maybe its too many martinis
m.e.b.