[OM] Focus and resolution, manual focus vs. AF, was going Autofocus

Subject: [OM] Focus and resolution, manual focus vs. AF, was going Autofocus
From: "Stewart Dean" <sdean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 22:02:54 -0500
....not to get into dickwars with my format is better than yours, but....

I use a 35mm Oly OM-2 for quick and dirty imagery.  It's a beautiful,
light system, having a lot in common in its concept with the early
Leicas...perfect for what 35mm excels at, the transient image.
Wish I had Cartier-Bresson's eye :-{

If I have gobs of time (and money) and the subject/environment
allows, I'll pull out the dog and pony show of my 8x10 view camera.
I will *KNOW* what's going on with the picture, because I'll have
ultimate control over the image....focus, exposure (zone system), etc.
Anything that isn't right is MY fault, because virtually everything
that could be manipulated/set was available, if I had wit to properly
employ it.

You should see what a Cibachrome contact from an 8x10
transparency looks like....or a palladium contact print from paper
you've made yourself (boy does THAT make commercial B&W print
paper look shabby)

But I hardly ever pick up the 8x10 these days...maybe when I retire in
12 years.....and maybe by that time solid-state light receptor tech will
*finally* be as good as 8x10 film.

Point is: Nothing is perfect or ultimate...there's tradeoffs...you have
to make up your mind whether the compromise is worth it.  For me,
life's too short (and other things are too important), to strain over the
last 2.5%.  If you *really* want more exact focus/resolution, do
manual or go up a format size (or two or three).

Now, let's see, where did I put my Nomex?
// "I build my cars to go, not to stop", Ettore Bugatti
// Stewart Dean Kingston, NY