Re: [OM] Zuiko 100mm f/2 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 100mm f/2 Lens
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:43:48 -0700
At 07:37 PM 3/25/00 -0300, Francisco Campos (TONI) wrote:

>  I wonder why the om's outfit photographers don't show their work with the
>100mm f/2, (no one in the olympus's net galleries)if it is so excellent...
>TONI

Two reasons, probably:

1. Few people actually OWN the 100/2.0 Zuiko, though many seem to own the
100/2.8.  The 100/2.0's an expensive piece of glass (though, I might add with
emphasis, not out of line with other manufacturers' examples of similar lenses
-- we Zuikoids are a spoiled lot...), and

2. While I'm certain that photos from the 100/2.0 are excellent, I'm not sure
you can truly appreciate all the subtleties of its image-forming prowess on a
rasterized image device (i.e., computer screen).

However, since you wondered:

      http://www.enable.org/~gallery/subpages/wood/wedd02a.jpg

A photo (one of many) of my brother-in-law's wedding to my brand-spankin'-new
sister-in-law last August at (actually *on*) Mt. Whistler, British Columbia,
Canada, shot with the Zuiko 100/2.0.  Note the lovely out-of-focus effects both
in the foreground (the ladies' hats which I shot between) and the nice,
unobtrusive rendering of the mountainous backdrop, complete with snow and
rocks.  Note also that I shot this wide open at F/2.0, and you're getting
basically a full-frame view here, with no noticeable falloff at the edges.
This was spot-metered with my OM-4 (the background was at least three stops
brighter than the foreground), due to the fact that we were under a dark canopy
and I had no access to fill-flash.

By no means an ideal example of what this lens can do, but I had it handy, and
it's not a bad representation nevertheless.

Garth