[OM] Pentax ZX-5N -- the new OM4T?

Subject: [OM] Pentax ZX-5N -- the new OM4T?
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:23:44 +1100
Alex wrote

>  The ZX-5N has extremely simple (non LCD screen) controls,
>            including spot metering with hold switch, auto bracketing,
>            small petite and quiet--garnering high praise for it's elegant
>            user interface.

I think this is called the MZ-5N here. There is another slightly better
model called the MZ-3N. Take a close look at the "hold switch". It
i. toggles and ii. self-cancels after just 10s. It will drive you
mad if you try to actually use it.

The way the camera switches between shutter priority, aperture
priority and program mode is indeed elegant, but inconvenient.
It loses its elegance if program mode is absent, as I think it
should be in a serious camera.

Everything works in 1/2 stops instead of 1/3 stops, it
has been claimed on this list by one MZ-5N owner that his camera
overexposes by 1 1/2 stops, and there is that stupid panorama mask,
so I think this camera is aimed at print film users.

The focussing screen has no optical rangefinder.

Whatever may be available in the future, last time I checked
Pentax offered no F=35mm prime, much less a shift lens, which is
my primary optic in this length.

Maybe it would be OK, but it doesn't look or feel robust enough to
take to the places I take my OM-4.

> All the Aria is and more.

It's the "and more" that is often the problem with Japanese design.