Re: [OM] You're killing me!

Subject: Re: [OM] You're killing me!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 03:09:49 +0000
At 05:39 3/27/00 , Tom Scales wrote:
>I figure the 35-105 on one body and either the 85-250 or the 65-200 (when I
>find one) on another would make a decent soccer setup.

Tom,
If the 35-105/3.5~4.5 Zuiko is in excellent condition, I think you may like
it.  It would be very hard to convince me to go for the 35-80/2.8,
especially with the cost difference between them.  IMHO the f/2.8 slower
speed is most useful for low light focusing, but that's about it.  If I
really need the speed for available light, I'll use a super speed standard,
either the 50/1.2 or 50/1.4 lens.

The 35-105 is my favorite for "event" type work with a lot of activity
going on (people moving around quite a bit), especially indoors.  The
additional 35mm allows some close, tight portraits, particularly candid
ones.  The 35-70/3.6 thread(s) raved about its performance and this one is
probably just as good.  I was initially concerned about a 3X zoom, but it
is very sharp, has great contrast in spite of all the glass, and I haven't
noticed any pronounced barrel or pincushion in the images (K-64 projected
onto a 50" screen).  Indoors I shoot it wide open on the OM-4 with a T-32
in TTL-Auto and diffuser panel.  It can sometimes be harder to focus at the
short focal length, so I will zoom out some, focus where I want it the
sharpest and then pull straight back to frame it.  Took a little practice
doing it with a one-touch to keep from turning the barrel while pulling
back, but it works.  Switching to the 2-13 screen also helped.  Can't say
much for the "close focus" feature; it's really a very modest built-in
extension tube.  An extension tube set on a prime works better, but it's OK
in a real pinch (as in you left everything else at home).

The downside (there always is one):  This lens is big and heavy (more than
the 35-70/3.6); it falls in weight and size between the 135/2.8 and 200/4
and has a 55mm ring.  It *will* hang "nose down" and the "one touch" can
creep out if you are moving a lot while it is hanging from your neck.  Some
might be bothered by the weight of lens and body hanging around their neck
for long periods too, especially if you're used to a standard 50mm or one
of the smaller, lighter 35-70 zooms.  If you are used to carrying one of
the longer zooms for long periods, then the size and weight of this one
shouldn't be bothersome.

-- John