Re: [OM] OT: LCD apeture???

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: LCD apeture???
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:50:30 EST
>Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

>> I was wondering about a Liquid Crystal Display used as a replacement
>> for the mechanical diaphram in lenses? My idea is that the lens
would
>> have a LCD array of concentric circles embedded in a transparent
lens
>> element, each set of circles turned off or on electrically to
achieve

>An LCD that is inactive is not perfectly clear---there's the
>randomized crystals themselves and the grid circuits.  I wonder if
>those objects would contribute a serious diffraction problem?

At first, I was thinking about those eye glasses that automatically
darken in bright light and if that feature could be controlled
electrically. I don't know if they go dark enough to make them useful.
I also originally thought that you could have a single element in the
lens with this feature of going dark, but then I realized that depth of
field wouldn't change with changes in darkness of the element like it
does with a mechanical diaphram. So, then I thought that if the element
had concentric rings, controlled sequentially, it could emulate a
mechanical diaphram. I suggested LCD only because that's the only
device I know of that is electrically controlled. I'm sure there are
others that could do this, I'm just not up on this technology. Hey, I'm
the transmission man (as in gears and shafts) here at the Patent
Office, what do I know about electrically activated glass?

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright