Re: [OM] ( fwd) Import Duty Tax

Subject: Re: [OM] ( fwd) Import Duty Tax
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:24:31 EST
Someone pointed me to this site sometime back:

http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff2000.asp

search under "camera" and find the description that best fits.
If the country of origin has 2000 Normal Trade Relations (NTR) duty rate
(formerly known as the Most Favored Nation (MFN) duty rate) then your rate
should be from 0% (cameras) to 2.3% (lenses) the way I read it.  If not, then
the tariffs are 20% and 45% respectively.
The following are the documents I'm getting this from:
90065300 -- cameras
90021190 -- lenses
I didn't look for accessories, but I'm sure it's there.

Hope this helps
--p.j.

One caveat that others have warned of:
    All this info may not matter a bit if the customs agent reads the rules
differently!