Re: [OM] problem with 65-116 & 80 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] problem with 65-116 & 80 macro
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:01:18 -0500

I finally had a chance to look at this and... I think it's a bad combination not
a bad auto-tube.  I'm guessing because this is a lens I don't have but...
<casting grains of salt everywhere> The big question is does the lens have any
way of transmitting aperture to the camera body?  If so does the auto-tube
transmit it when the lens is mounted on the auto-tube?  If it's like the PM-MTob
lenses, there is no linkage between the two.   The old style macros, or at least
my PM-MTob based ones do not engage the levers** in the auto-tube that make it
an auto tube.  Effectively the auto-tube is saying "the lens I have mounted is
wide open right now but will stop down a long way when you fire the shutter".
In the non-auto extension tubes the pin is fixed to say "as wide open as I'm
going to get".  Unfortunately, I can't forge this into an explanation of why
"auto" doesn't work anyway but spot does.

after much snipping Gary Edwards wrote:

I just got a beautiful 65-116 ... It works fine with my 50/3.5 macro and my
85/2,
but it doesn't ... work with my old style, preset aperture Zuiko 80
mm f/4 1:1 macro lens.<<

** darn it what should I be calling these?, one is the "delta between wide open
and set aperture" and the other is the "close the aperture"