[OM] OT: Import Duty Tax and shipping times

Subject: [OM] OT: Import Duty Tax and shipping times
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 00:15:50 PST
Cc: j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Regarding the import duties when shipping from The Netherlands to abroad countries there are probably various tricks to "restrict the damage".

When I order something from the US that has a value of, say, $200, I simply ask them to declare the value as some $75 or so. The tax-free boundary for importing stuff into The Netherlands is at some $30, and for anything above that, you pay 25%. So, in this case, you would have to pay 250ver $45, which is not too much of an overhead. The theory behind doing it this way, rather than having it declared for something like $40 is that this way the customs will not really be suspicious of the declared amount. If it would be very near the tax-free boundary, they may (or may not) double check the price with a camera store or so. Similar tricks should probably apply to other countries too. I think I've also read that you can declare an item as "repaired item" or something like that, and that you then pay 0 0uties, but I'm not sure.

The only caveat in declaring lower values of course, is that IF something happens to the item during shipping, it was underinsured. But then again, I wonder just how well these insurances work in the first place. So far, fortunately, I've never needed to try to get money back from USPS or so. I wonder how well that works...

On another note: I read there was some concern about the shipping times from The Netherlands. As Jaap is not on the list (yet), I double checked this with him, and he told me that unless explicitely requested otherwise, by default he ships his items via priority mail (which should take between 1 and 2 weeks).

Cheers!
Olafo