RE: [OM] problem with 65-116 & 80 macro

Subject: RE: [OM] problem with 65-116 & 80 macro
From: Hans van Veluwen <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:27:06 +0200
:I finally had a chance to look at this and... I think it's a
:bad combination not a bad auto-tube.  I'm guessing because
: this is a lens I don't have but...
:<casting grains of salt everywhere> The big question is does
:the lens have any way of transmitting aperture to the camera
: body?  If so does the auto-tube
:transmit it when the lens is mounted on the auto-tube?  If
:it's like the PM-MTob lenses, there is no linkage between the two.
: The old style macros, or at least my PM-MTob based ones do not
: engage the levers** in the auto-tube that make it
:an auto tube.  Effectively the auto-tube is saying "the lens I
:have mounted is wide open right now but will stop down a long way
: when you fire the shutter".
:In the non-auto extension tubes the pin is fixed to say "as
:wide open as I'm going to get".

The manual macros (20, 38, 80) only support stop-down metering. When the
camera is in Manual Mode, or when you are spot-metering, both the aperture
pre-set ring and the aperture ring must be set to the working aperture to
get a correct reading. Normally you focus wide-open. In Auto Mode, the only
thing you have to remember is to close the aperture ring (not only the
pre-set ring) before the exposure.

: Unfortunately, I can't forge this into an explanation of why
:"auto" doesn't work anyway but spot does.

I can't either, unless he just forgot to stop down for the Auto exposure.
The manual macro lenses work fine both with the Auto Bellows and the 65-117
tube.

hnz