RE: [OM] The Death of Film

Subject: RE: [OM] The Death of Film
From: atk@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 31 Mar 2000 13:18:31 -0000
  ||    From owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fri Mar 31 12:06:17 2000
  ||    >
  ||    > >    Looks like film cameras will become a market
  ||    > >oddity even sooner than most digicam owners have
  ||    > >    been predicting, and A LOT SOONER than the film
  ||    > >diehards have been stating.
  ||    >
  ||    Well nobody has told the makers of film cameras about this yet, look at
any
  ||    photo mag and see how many new film cameras were released in the last
year.
  ||    I don't think Nikon, Canon, Minolta & Pentax would be releasing the
likes of
  ||    the F100, EOS-1V, etc. if they thought the film market would be gone in
2
  ||    years.

I disagree -- not so much with your statement but your implied conclusion that
these cameras represent most cameras sold. I suspect that digital cameras WILL
replace most film p&s and many low-end slr (slr used as p&s) in the next 5 to
10 years (esp APS cameras). These cameras by volume (though not necessarily
volume of film used) represent a majority of the market. Assuming digital does
replace p&s cameras what impact would this have on film usage -- anyone have
any numbers ?

Alan