Re: [OM] the future of film (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of film (long)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:07:08 -0600
Well, I'll jump in.  I've mentioned before that I'm <gasp> also a digital
camera user.  I have owned each successive Kodak, trading up (thanks, ebay)
as they improved. I just got my new Kodak DC290 in the mail yesterday.  For
me, film and digital are just different tools. I can produce great shots
(and equally bad ones) with both tools.  For those of you that haven't
experienced digital, then I would challenge you.  If I take a nice shot with
my DC290, at 1792x1200 resolution, in uncompressed TIFF, and print it at 4x6
(my normal print size) on my ALPS MD-1300 Dye Sub printer, unless you used a
loupe, I don't think you could tell it apart from a film print.  At 8x10,
you could probably tell by looking closely, but not from a normal viewing
distance.

Does it compare to an OM-4T with a 100/2 portrait lens, of course not.  Does
it compare to a high-quality Olympus Point and Shoot, heck yes.  Is it more
versatile than the P&S, again, yes.  I can take pictures of my kids
unwrapping their birthday presents and 30 minutes later have them posted on
my website for my parents to view, download and print.  Even with one-hour
photo and FedEx, I can't match that.

I really enjoy the digital as it combines my two hobbies, but film still has
a place and will, in my mind, for a long-time.  It was the sports,
particularly indoor sports, that got me back to film.  Even a Nikon D1 (more
than I'm willing to spend) would not do the low-light, fast action
photography that my 25 year old OM-2MD with a fast lens will do.  So, I
invested in a cheap film scanner (have to upgrade soon) and switched back to
film.  In a big way <grin>

As you all know, I'm still building my little in-house portrait studio. It
should be done this weekend, with the homebuilt light stands and diffusers
(PVC) and a twin T32 setup.  I've also build a 'backdrop holder', also out
of PVC.  Do I think the best shots will be with the OM and the 100/2, again
yes, but will I happily mount the DC290 with a Vivitar 283 on my BG2 and
take shots with it too?  Of course.  Best of both worlds.  I'm going to
treat digital as a form of 'polaroid back', letting me see if I like the
composition before I shoot the film.  I'll be driving a TV monitor out of
the DC290, so I can frame and see what it looks like, than shoot the
side-by-side mounted OM-4T.

(BTW - suggestion on portrait photography are greatly encouraged).

Does this put the discussion to rest, of course not.  We're going to
continue to see digital improve for many years and there will be a
crossover, not that far away, that digital quality will match film.  Will we
still want our film 'vinyl'? yes, I don't see digital as ever being as rich,
but I also see almost every journalist switching and I'd see it in the next
couple years.

OK, I just fueled the fire, but it's an interesting dailog.  Anybody that
wants to see a 4x6 printed on the ALPS, let me know. I'm willing to send a
few (maybe the first 10 requests) out just for fun.

Now, if I can just get my own portrait taken, developed and scanned by the
deadline.  There are many, however, that fervently hope I don't make the
deadline....<grin>

Off my soapbox now.

Tom