[OM] Apologies for continuing this White Castle thread

Subject: [OM] Apologies for continuing this White Castle thread
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:49:41 -0800
In the early days on Long Island White Castle was a small Castle shaped
building
with car hops and everything.  I came from a large family and my Dad got
paid on Tuesday and had Wednesday off.
That meant Wednesday was White Castle day.  Yippee!
Even then it was a dangerous place to linger.  (Hempstead, Long Island, New
York.)
Bikers!  My Dad once backed into a chopper and knocked it down!!
We ordered them by the sack full!  So many that we made things out of the
empty
open top boxes they each came in.  Cheap Leggos.

What were / are they?
Very small square beef patties, frozen, with little square holes in them to
facilitate quick thawing and cooking on the flat grill.  The chopped frozen
onions were cooked right next to them and the buns, also frozen, were placed
right over the onions
on the grill.  They were put together with a spatula and ketchup and pickle
slices
were added.  This is why they were soggy and steamy.
At that time they were 12 cents each.  Five was the minimum any one person
would order.
The result was always the same, heartburn and a very bad feeling in the
lower
tract.  We called them belly bombers.  Why we loved them is still a mystery.
Years later I could be in a far away place and sense a fleeting whiff of
Belly
Bombers in the lower regions of my mind.
I believe this evil creation is from Chicago.  They still have them on Long
Island
and do a brisk late night business.   If I had access to them right now I
would
do at least six.

Footnote:  The fries were OK.
 Secret:    They had the best crumb cake on the planet.