Re: [OM] The Death of Film

Subject: Re: [OM] The Death of Film
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:50:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Dirk Wright wrote:

> >  Six per cent of all american households owned digital
> >cameras by the end of 1999.
> >

> Well, assuming that there are 100 million households in america (out of
> 250 million people), that's 6 million cameras, assuming one camera per
> household. That's a lot of cameras! How many households have film
> cameras that they actually *use*, rather than sitting on a shelf in the
> closet? Probably more maybe? maybe less?

  90%. They average 4 rolls of film per year.

It's all about convenience, in
> my opinion, except for us crazies that is..

  It's about cost and convenience, IMHO.

  As Photo Techniques pointed out:

                  1 P&S camera..................$100
                  4 rolls + development + prints$ 75
                                                -------
                                                $175/yr.

 And next to zero time in printing/downloading/etc. Most people
get film done at the nearest 1-hr, which also is their drugstore
and/or food store. The second year (given that a P&S should last a
minimum of 5 years, the cost dips down to $75. Digital's a long
way from that, specially if image quality enters the equation.
As per Popular Photography'd 2000 dighital camera guide, only
one tested (the $1500 OM) yielded photo-quality 8x10's. A
$90 Stylus can easily deliver 11x14 blow-ups.

                         Yes, I know all this will soon change,
                            but this is the way it is now.

                                      *= Doris Fang =*