Re: [OM] Candidate Image for One Moment Photo Contest

Subject: Re: [OM] Candidate Image for One Moment Photo Contest
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 10:04:01 -0500
I realize now that my proposal may evoke some anxiety in people. My
intent is to inspire the creative juices. Acer, don't discredit
yourself, we all have potential. I also realize that the judging part
is going to be a very difficult process, frot with potholes and
sensitive psychologies, which is why I think it should be limited to a
few respected judges who could spend some quality time with each photo.
I will try to clarify what I had in mind for a photo. To judge the
photo, such as Denton's photo at:
http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/taylor/marawhel.html ,

I think one has to sit with it for a while to know. I think that is a
very good photo. I looked at it last night and the image still sticks
in my mind this morning. Clearly the photo has something more than
most. I will try my best to clarify. There was another photo by Ken
Norton a while back - taken in the snow of an old barn. From my own
sense of the photo, there is this sense that the photographer was
really present with the subject such that the eye-heart-hand axis was
in alignment when the photo was taken. Only Ken knows for sure, hence
we will need some good judges. Ultimately the winner will depend on the
judging process, there is no way to avoid that. I hope we can keep the
sensitive egos at bay, let the anxiety be present, but not let it limit
out photographic process. The one moment - many photographers just know
in that one moment they managed to capture something. Both a fleeting
moment, yet touching on something eternal. As if the thinking mind has
stopped, and a greater part of one's being has taken over. We need a
few good judges who are willing to struggle with each photo submitted.

I also wanted to limit the number of people to the list members at the
start so as not to attract a barrage of outside interest and
uncontrolled chaos. Most people on this list have a genuine interest in
photography and were attracted to the olympus camera because there was
some sense that this camera connected to them better than others. There
is a photo of Maitani, (http://members.xoom.com/maitani_fan/home.html)
you almost get a sense of a zen master - like the picture of Shunryu
Suzuki Roshi on the back cover of Zen Mind, Beginners Mind. If you can
sense the spirit that went into your camera, go take some pictures,
let's try to have fun with this. I think human nature needs a challenge
or we don't grow. Better to have a challenge in life that inspires
rather than to just struggle against defeat.

The photo of Carl Jung I was reffering to is slightly different than the one at:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0877735549.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I will try to upload the one I am referring to. The photo is in the
Spring issue of the *Photographers Forum*, which is where I got the
quote from Cartier-Bresson. In this photo, Carl Jung is not holding any
papers. The photo even looks as if there is a little motion blur. There
are no perfect photos. However, you can tell the photographer was
really present with the subject.

Wayne