Re: [OM] Re NASA lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Re NASA lens
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 23:29:13 -0400
Hold on there.

The OM-4/180-2.8 camera/lens combos were destined for use in the Space Shuttle. That doesn't mean that they were meant to be taken OUTSIDE. Remember, there's air in them thaar shuttles. So your points hold true as long as you don't take the equipment outside into the OPEN cargo bay or on an EVA. It will work find for shots through the windows, or inside the shuttle cabin, or in the CLOSED cargo bay.

I think that the Hassleblads were used on Gemini space walks and on the lunar surface, OUTSIDE. Am I right?

Skip

At 4/2/00 10:55 PM  -0400, you wrote:
> Scroll down...OM-4 in NASA spec! What's that lens though?

Something that isn't  obvious is that all our beautiful lenses are just
junk in space....'cause the careful design that went into them, all the
corrections, etc. are based on a glass to air interface....which is NOT
the same as a glass to vacuum interface.  An old friend of mine
worked on the redesign of the Hasselblad lenses that were used in the
space program: one-offs for glass to vacuum.  Think of the cost!
// "I build my cars to go, not to stop", Ettore Bugatti
// Stewart Dean Kingston, NY