Re: [OM] Disappointment...

Subject: Re: [OM] Disappointment...
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 09:20:50 -0400
Tom Scales wrote:

> - Everything is very overexposed.

Are you talking about the negatives, or the chromes?  I have a hard time
telling if my C-41 negs are overexposed--especially Fuji negs--unless
they are really badly burned.  Anyway, overexposing a neg. by up to 3
stops for a portrait shouldn't be a problem; it's a plus, really.  If
the negs. look like they have good density, then any impression of
overexposure is really just a poor print.

> 1) Get a thicker material to go in front of the flash units

I don't see why.  You want to diffuse the light, not squelch it.

> the OM-4T should have shut the flashes down fast enough to get a good
> exposure.

Yes. TTL response is instantaneous, I'm sure not any faster in one OM
than another.  Keep in mind that OM TTL is "dumb" and can't make any
sense of your composition.  Phillip's suggestion to start with a flash
meter is a good one, but I still think that with color neg. you can use
the TTL system to get a pretty good exposure in a multi-flash setup, so
my feeling is that your images are better than you think, but were
poorly printed.

Also, the shadows indicate that each flash lit the scene equally.  Try
putting one closer and the other at about twice the distance, to get a
more interesting light ratio.  And, if you have the room, put the girls
farther form the background (which should get rid of the shadows.)

Tom, you've got very cooperative models, so you're 99% there.

Morgan Sparks