Re: [OM] rear coating

Subject: Re: [OM] rear coating
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:32:15 -0600
At 12:39 PM 4/3/00 -0700, Matt BenDaniel wrote:
>I received a Zuiko 50/3.5 with a permanent fingerprint on the rear element.
>The fingerprint does not come off with standard lens cleaner.  It's easily
>noticeable but not heavy.  Would such a defect have more effect on contrast at
>close focus or at far focus?
>
>I have asked John Hermanson about repair, and I think the total rear element
>replacement cost would be over $100.  The rest of the lens is near-mint.
>
>Any advice?

Matt:

Have you tried using pure lens-grade methanol?  It's moved stuff off of my
lenses that standard lens cleaner just seemed to smear around.  As well (I
know, this is heresy, but what have you got to lose?), I've sometimes used
Windex with good results.  (Don't use the scented stuff -- the original blue
formula is what I mean...).

Garth