[OM] Problems with my 50 f/3.5 Macro and my 35-70 f/3.6

Subject: [OM] Problems with my 50 f/3.5 Macro and my 35-70 f/3.6
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:51:06 -0500
I have a couple questions I'll throw to the list, probably before I send
both lenses off to John at Camtech.

50 f/3.5 - Can't believe I didn't notice this, but there is a piece missing
at the back of the lens.  I've been told it's called a baffle, but I'm
baffled <grin>.  At the back of most of my Zuikos, there is a tab of sorts
that is attached to the back, right up against the side of the glass. It's
all black and curved and juts out and is essentially on what would be the
bottom of the lens (or body).  On the 50 macro it's missing and there is
just a shiny silver spot on the back of the lens.  So, the questions are:

1) What does it really do
2) What happens if you don't have it
3) Can it be inexpensively replaced

I'm going to keep one 50 macro and if this piece isn't critical, I'm home
free. I suspect it is, since they wouldn't have it if it isn't important.

35-70 f/3.6 - I sold this one and got it back.  I think that's probably
right.  This one is harder to describe.  This is a wierd little lens, I
think because of its design, but the feel is unusual.  The question is
whether that's right or not, so here goes.  The problem seems to be that
there is a little 'play' in the focus ring.  You can move it slightly,
probably an 1/8th of an inch, before it 'catches' and the focusing occurs.
It's more pronounced at the 35 position than the 70 position and at 35 it's
not exactly what I'd call smooth.  At some points the focus ring moves more
easily than at others.  Not a big difference, but noticeable.  I bought this
one from the Olympus guy, so I'm a little surprised that this is occuring.
It focuses, so I'm not positive the feel is actually a problem, but it is
wierd.

So, I suspect the answer is that they both need fixed, which is ok I guess,
but the cost may be more than the value of the lenses.  They're nice lenses
though, so I'm confused.

One last comment.  I got an interesting kit today and since some of you like
to hear about them, I'll mention it.  I bought it to get the 35-105 that was
 included.   I like this lens a lot and can't wait to try it.  It's in mint
condition, no wear at all.  The one-touch is nice and smooth.  It even has a
close focus feature that is a little unusual.  The rest of the kit was nicer
than expected too.  It came with a 50 1.8, an older SC.  It also came with a
very nice 24 2.8 and the most interesting piece is a black OM-1, not an MD.
I've never even seen one without the motor drive connection.

So, my last question.  Does anybody have any idea what a black OM-1 is
worth?

Thanks to all.

Night.

Tom