Re: [OM] rear coating

Subject: Re: [OM] rear coating
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 08:41:59 -0600
At 07:33 AM 4/4/00 -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>In Tomosy's book on camera repair, he also recommends using Windex and
>ordinary facial tissue for normal cleaning.  Fold up a piece of tissue
>and hold it in tweezers.  Wet the tissue (never the lens) and gently
>wipe the lens with it.  Go in one direction working outward from the
>center in a spiral.  Repeat as necessary always using a clean piece of
>tissue.  Make a final pass with another clean piece of tissue after
>breathing on the lens.
>
>For oil and grease use lighter fluid (naptha) or rubbing alchohol until
>the oil is removed.  Then follow up with the normal cleaning process
>using Windex.

Just to amplify one part of Chuck's missive above, make sure you DO NOT use
facial tissues with "hand cream" or "moisturizer" in them!  I was treated to
the amusing spectacle of my dear sainted Mom trying to clean her glasses for at
least half-an-hour with such tissues (Kleenex Ultra or somesuch), all the while
leaving grease streaks everywhere.  I finally fished out an additive-free
facial tissue, handed it to Mom and said "Try this."

She was embarrassed, when she realized what she'd done.  ;-)

Garth