Re: [OM] rear coating

Subject: Re: [OM] rear coating
From: Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 13:20:39 -0500
I just went to:

http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/broncleaning.html

After reading through this collection of lens cleaning advice, I've concluded:

1. There is no "ONE" liquid for lens cleaning. The gambit of suggestions run
from "ROR" to Windex to various
concoctions of acetone- various dilution of alcohols -ammonia or ammonia based
products.
2. There is no "ONE" way of application. You use cotton swabs or tissue or
Kimwipes or Microfiber Or Kleenex or shirt-tails.
3. You can/can't disassemble lenses. You can/can't replace elements. You
can/can't destroy coatings or lens cements.
4. Lens coating can/can't be ruined by using certain cleaners and/or
techniques- depending on who is giving the advice.
5. The ONLY common and agreed to advice is that dust should be removed off
first. But there is no "ONE" agreement as to how: "canned air- breath- ear
syringe- brush- torn lens tissue".

I just wonder if it wouldn't be in everyone's best interest, to have an series
of "independent" tests performed by an "independent" lab to put an end to the
myths and legends and old repairman's
tales. To come up with answers.

                                        yours "ROR"ing from my soapbox,

                                                        Garry D. Lewis