Re: [OM] rear coating

Subject: Re: [OM] rear coating
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 15:15:37 -0600
At 01:20 PM 4/4/00 -0500, Garry D. Lewis wrote:

[snip]

>I just wonder if it wouldn't be in everyone's best interest, to have an series
>of "independent" tests performed by an "independent" lab to put an end to the
>myths and legends and old repairman's
>tales. To come up with answers.

Garry:

Actually, it makes me think of the following rule:

"Always use the least invasive method necessary to clean an optical surface."

Start gentle.  Work your way up.  If the offending stuff still hasn't come off
by the time you're considering sandblasting your lens element, consider
purchasing a new lens.  ;-)

By the by, since everyone on this List has tried the techniques they've
recommended (as far as I can tell), they can all be considered to be backed up
by experience.

Garth

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields