Re: [OM] Disappointment...

Subject: Re: [OM] Disappointment...
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:46:40 +0100
Apologies for the late response...

>- - Everything is very overexposed.  I suspect that the material I'm using in
>front of the flash units isn't opaque enough (as I'm getting shadows), but
>the OM-4T should have shut the flashes down fast enough to get a good
>exposure.  Any suggestions?

The TTL meter works on a centre-weighted pattern, which would evaluate most
of the scene and provide enough light to expose everything with a midtone.
Your subjects are not necessarily of midtone, so might suffer. Also, the
printing machine may not be able to discern the exact printing exposure
required. These things are very clever, they take a huge number of spot
readings and apply some maths to it and give the negative an exposure. It's
all very average, and set up for p&s type photography. Careful exposure
calculation can be a waste of time with high street d&p. The benefit comes
when you have hand-printed enlargements made from your well-exposed negs,
but at (in the UK) £5-10 for a 10x8" print, they are not cheap.

>- - The is a distinct magenta cast to everything.  The girls pink shirts are
>now purple and the gray background is greenish.  Oddly, when I switched to
>the
>light gray background and blue shirts, the problem disappeared.

This is most likely caused by confusion on the part of the printing machine.
They're not used to seeing large areas of single colour (eg plain
backgrounds) and will try to compensate by dialling in some of the
'opposite'. The answer is either to use slide film, or find someone who can
print them more accurately.

BTW it's nice to see kids over that side of the pond finding out what
"football" really is: a game you play using your feet, with a ball (ie a
sphere), not an egg ;-)

Simon E.