Re: [OM] OM10 & OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM10 & OM2000
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:31:11 EDT
In a message dated 4/5/00 11:42:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Skewes@xxxxxxxxxxxx queried:
<< My 17 year old daughter is taking for the first time
 photography classes in High School and needs a 35 mm SLR camera.
 I would like to by her an Olympus body. I thought of
 an OM 10 or an OM 2000.  Since I don't know much about
 these cameras I need some advice. Are these OK for learning?
 Can the zuiko lenses, used for OM1 and OM2, be used with the OM10 or
 OM2000? >>

Alex,
Welcome to the group! We are fanatical, but fun-loving!

Had you considered goiing ahead and finding her a good, used OM-1?? Why not
start her on a camera she'll want to keep all her life? I started my son on
my original OM-1 MD and will have a terrible time getting it back as he has
really done well with it. I'm not crazy about the plastic chassis of the
OM-10, and the 2000 is not the compact format of the original OM system. Yes,
your old lenses can be used with all of them. I would be more partial to a
good sturdy OM-1, thereby indoctrinating her  forever into the feel and use
of a beautiful camera. Plus, having one like Dear-Old-Dad might spur on her
attention and make it a good family hobby.

Many of our list members have Oly cameras and lenses for sale (I'll let them
contact you) so you can find one in good shape that is trustworthy. And just
think.....if photography isn't her "thing"..you'll end up with anotehr
gorgeous hunk of Olympus in yoru arsenal!

Yours,
Susan Steele
Amherst VA USA