[OM] photo cd / slide scanning

Subject: [OM] photo cd / slide scanning
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 20:49:37 -0400
Hello,

Well, at last I have received all of my slides from my trip to
Hawaii.  I'm very happy with the results -- other than a few
glaring exposure screw-ups (which I caught quickly when in the
field), the slides seem well-exposed and some are even nicely
composed, so I'm happy.  I haven't looked at them closely yet
(just by holding them up to a light for rough estimates), since
I don't yet have a light table or such.

Anyway, one of the main things I want to do with these slides
is get them scanned so I can put them on the web and otherwise
conveniently keep track of them.  I do have access to a slide
scanner (I believe it's actually one of the photo CD scanners),
but I don't have anywhere near the time it would take to do a
decent job at scanning a whole lot of slides, so I would really
very much prefer to send them somewhere to get photo CDs
made.

If I'm going to go to this trouble, I would like to get reasonably
high resolution scans done -- the master photo CD 2k by 3k res
seems like it ought to be fine for my purposes.

What I'm concerned about is cost -- the cheapest place I've
looked at so far (and I haven't looked tremendously hard yet)
was Advanced Digital Imaging, who will do up to 100 scans
for $2/slide plus $10 for media -- since I would guess I'll
want on the order of 30 slides scanned (plus or minus a few,
depends on how things go on a light table), so that puts me
at around $70-$100 for the scanning.  Does that seem like a
reasonable expenditure?  Does anyone know of a cheaper
alternative?

Of course, this is photography, and service quality is often
proportional to cost, so if that is what it will cost to get
a good job done, then that is what it will cost and I will
find a way to do what I can within my budget.  I figured I
would at least ask around before I spend more money that I
don't really have.  :-)

Also, does anyone have experience getting inexpensive snapshot
quality prints from slides?  My friends will probably want
some copies of some of my shots, and I doubt they'll want to
pay for cibas of them.  :-)  I've heard that Slideprinter
does decent, inexpensive type R prints -- anyone dealt with
them?  What qualifies as "inexpensive" in this case?

thanks

joey