RE: [OM] camera for my 12yr old

Subject: RE: [OM] camera for my 12yr old
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:35:12 -0600
At 03:35 PM 4/6/00 -0500, Gwynne Little (in response to Dirk Wright's musings
about what kind of manual camera to get his daughter) wrote:
>Dirk,
>
>If you're interested in Canon, you might consider the FTb. It is an
>excellent, all manual, camera that is compatible with the FD lenses. It has
>the same match needle exposure meter as the original F1. It also has mirror
>lock-up and and really nice quick-load feature that makes loading film a
>breeze. This might be a real plus for a 12 year old. I bought mine 30 years
>ago because I couldn't afford an F1. I recently switched to Olympus for the
>TTL flash capabilities that the older Canons didn't have. I think the FTb
>might be an excellent choice for your daughter.

If you're not going Olympus, I'd second the FTb.  Not only were they easy to
operate, but very rugged.  The joke about them back in high school was that,
when you weren't using them to take pictures, you could always use them as
hammers.  (Excellent choice for loaners for high school yearbooks, actually --
we had two OM-1s and two FTbs for the yearbook staff).

As a plus, there's whacks of FTbs on eBay (I just checked).  You might need to
replace the foam light seals, though.

Garth

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields