Re: [OM] camera for my 12yr old

Subject: Re: [OM] camera for my 12yr old
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 03:51:25 EDT
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Whatever I get her, I want her to like it so that she uses it and I don't
waste money on something that sits on a shelf. >>

Dick,
         I had the similar thoughts last year when my 13 yr old son went off
to Europe and joined my brother touring in Germany and Italy. Eventually not
wanting to face the possible loss of a $300 camera body I bought an OM10 with
loose switch for $30, fixed the awitch and sent him off with it and a
"bargain condition" 28mm lens.  This year he is taking to school the
following kit : OM10 50mm,28mm,135mm/3.5 for his photo class. The 135 had bad
fungus but only cost $25 and proved very easy to clean. Total cost about $80
so I don't have to worry too much about loss,damage or theft and being small
it all fits in an unobtrusive fanny pack. I now also have another OM10 one
for use on hazardous trips where I don't want to risk a good camera. (like
river trips)  Having only owned single digit OM's before these double digit
"consumer" OM's have proved amazingly good.
    My son did however have difficulty loading the film reliably so you need
to practice quite a few times to drive home exactly how far to thread the
film into the take up spool and check the tensioning. The other problem was
it is fairly easy to knock the manual/B/auto switch to the wrong position
especially when setting ASA. For the Europe trip, since he did not have much
time to learn to use the camera, I taped a cheat sheet to the back with  two
suggested apertures one for outdoors and another for indoors.
          Possibly an OMPC might be a better choice, although more expensive,
since it has DX coding and program mode making it more like a p&s. My son
also enjoyed using supplementary lenses as they are so easy to use and a lot
of fun.

  Hope your daughter has lots of fun with her camera,
    Regards
    Tim Hughes