Re: [OM] Results of my first home studio experiments

Subject: Re: [OM] Results of my first home studio experiments
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 19:11:43 +0000
Reflections from a smooth flat surface bounce off the surface at the same
angle at which they strike it.   You can reduce or eliminate  reflections
by having the camera at 90 deg to the reflective surface  and then having
the light source/s at 45deg to the reflective surface so the light will
hit the surface at 45 deg and bounce off at 45 deg.   The combined angle
the light travels is 90 deg and so with the camera effectively in the
middle of the V it should not see the reflection.

However, that is with a perfectly flat smooth surface.  If a surface has
texture to it then each tiny element of the texture can reflect light at
all sorts of angles, however 45 deg should still reduce the amount of
reflection considerably.

Perhaps you could use a strong torch positioned at the flash as a sort of
modeling light to try and preview the effect of the flash.

Giles