Re: [OM] Badlands and beyond

Subject: Re: [OM] Badlands and beyond
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:38:54 -0400
From: "Ken Norton

> >==Suppose I should pick up another couple sets of batteries for
> >the OM-2S.
> >And make sure to pack the OM1 or 3 just in case.
>
> Well, let's see I'm packing the ultramodern OM-2S, an OM-1MD, Olympus XA
> and a Mamiya Super-23.  I think I've got enough backups to the OM-2S.  But
> a couple sets of batteries are packed anyway.  I considered sneaking the
> IS-3 into the pack, but if anything happened to my kit, it is my backup
for
> an upcoming shoot.
>
> I might endup spending more time in the badlands than I thought.  The more
> I research the more I like.  Although mountains do call...

I have in front of me Number 59 of the photograph america newsletter by
Robert Hinchman.  It is all about the Badlands and the Black Hills.  He
suggests five days to do the area well.  I don't have a scanner or I would
send this issue to you.  Maybe someone on the list can.

To summarize, he suggests the Window and Door overlook trails (both short
and morning is best) near the Cedar Pass Entrance, most of the great
landscapes can be found along the Badlands Loop Road with great overlooks
(morning and evening best) and Roberts Prairie Dog Town on the unpaved Sage
Creek Rim Road. Use exits 110 and 131 off I 90 for the Loop Road.

He suggests driving the Wildlife Loop Road at sunrise and sunset for some of
the best wildlife photos in Custer State Park, and driving the unpaved back
roads through Wind Cave National Park for large herds of bison.

There are lists of day hikes available at the Visitor Center.  Bring your
lens cleaning equipment, after driving on the dirt roads, you will need it!
BTW, ditches along the roads in S. Dakota and Wyoming are not always
obvious!  Sometimes the grass is taller in the ditch making it all look
level with the side of the road.  It is always wise to carry a tall jack out
there.  The kind I used to carry cost about $50 and was reversible, allowing
push or pull options with a chain or ground.

Have fun, wish I was able to go along.

Gregg