Re: [OM] My new OM-2...the verdict's in!

Subject: Re: [OM] My new OM-2...the verdict's in!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 23:31:53 +0000
Having now used a 1.8 F.Zuiko, 1.4 MC and 1.2, I will echo the 1.2 being a
great lens.  I happened across mine in Mint- condition at a good price
while looking for and contemplating a 24/2, and immediately snagged it.  It
is also very even across all the stops as I have used it at the wider
apertures.  With at least mine, they perform in order from 1.2 to the 1.4MC
by only a nose, and then by the 1.8 F.Zuiko which is very, very sharp but
not quite the contrast of the MC's.  The only lens I've used sharper or
higher in contrast is a single coated Carl Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar and I have
yet to use *any* lens with its performance at any aperture.  The 1.2 is not
far behind it though.

If I hadn't stumbled across my 1.2 at the price it was being offered I
would have the 1.4MC bolted onto the OM-4 and likely another one on the
OM-1n, or maybe would have gotten a 55/1.2 instead.  No, it wasn't a "Doris
Fang Fabulous Find" but was at the low end of what they sell for in that
condition.  The 1.4MC is now on the OM-1n and the 1.8 just got sold with an
OM-10, my original lens and body from 20 years ago.

IMHO the price of a 50/1.2 is good compared to its contemporaries for other
current SLR systems.  We are blessed by a decent supply of 50/1.4's that
have a *very* good average price.

-- John