Re: [OM] Phoenix shopping and shooting?

Subject: Re: [OM] Phoenix shopping and shooting?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 02:41:06 -0700
Hi John:

<< Gary, for a Las Vegas guy you really know some of the best spots in
Arizona
(I lived in Phoenix for 20+ years). >>

Rand E. listed other spots I fully concur with, although I have yet to
stop in Jerome - too touristy for me, but lots of steep slope design
historical  architecture. I enjoy the Sonoran Desert more than the
Mojave.  But my all time favorite spot is the Vermillion Cliffs at
Marble Canyon. I got to live a work there for a month when it was
population 7. But (while hiking to Phantom Ranch) I burned a hole in the
shutter of my rangefinder Canon and couldn't shoot any pictures for the
rest of the summer.  :-(

Don't drink the water at Slide Rock State Park in Oak Creek Canyon.  It
frequently has too high an E. coli count. The most fantastic time in the
canyon is after a thunderstorm.  Waterfalls erupt all over.

I got to shoot a wedding in Oak Creek Canyon last year. Easiest
"celebration" shoot I ever did, with lots of natural backgrounds.

Another hair raising road is Schnebly Hill Rd, which winds up the cliffs
immediately east of Sedona. I don't recommend sedans drive it. Very fine
photo viewpoints along it, though.

OM content: Keep a 200-300mm'ish Zuiko ready while traveling the
Interstate highways around Flagstaff and Williams. I've seen some big
shaggy elk at times when I didn't have a camera handy.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV