[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1567

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1567
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 13:25:15 +0100
David Jenkinson says
> I thought I'd better introduce myself to the list as a new subscribee, if
> thats the right word.

Hello David, welcome aboard.

> I was also looking for a Tokina 80-200/2.8, and managed to get one
> cheap from Ace cameras in Bath, but when it arrived it was just to huge,
and
> so they took it back and I took a Zuiko 135/2.8 instead.  Incidentally, I
> was very pleased with Ace cameras services and their prices seemed OK to.
> Without prejudice based on my experiences, I'd recommend them to UK
listees.

I'll second that. It tends to make visiting Bath an expensive experience!
They have an 18/3.5 in stock at the moment which I have successfully
resisted twice.

> I'm now looking without a lot of hope for ideally a 2nd hand Zuiko MC
85/2,
> and I was wondering if it was worthwhile sticking my neck out for a new
one
> from KEH or somebody in the states (it's just too expensive to buy a new
one
> in the UK.).

They do turn up second hand in the UK very occasionally. Andy at Ace Cameras
reckons they are one of his most popular requests. If you phone or email
them (website is www.acecameras.co.uk ) you can ask them to look out for
whatever you want. Another fertile UK source of Oly bits is Ffordes in
Southend - www.ffordes.co.uk . Whatever you do, don't compare UK prices with
US, you will just want to break down and weep. Specially when you get to
monsters like the 250/2.

Ciao
John