Re: [OM] OT - good basic paper/developer recommendation?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - good basic paper/developer recommendation?
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:55:16 -0400
Hi Barry,
I'm years behind the times, so it will be interesting (for me) to see if my
old standbys still have some support.  We're planning to build a new house,
with B&W darkroom, later this year, so you and I are on similar paths.
Twenty years ago, I settled on Tri-X, developed in HC110, 1:31 and printed
on Ilfobrom variable contrast glossy paper.  I liked the color tones of
Ilfobrom.  I usually ended up using a contrast level of 3 because of my negs
and my preference for contrasty prints.  I developed in Dektol.
One lesson I learned is that cold light heads produce much smoother
gradations of gray than condenser heads.  You might look around for one.
Unfortunately, I sold my Omega that had a cold light head and now have a
Leitz Focomat which is sort of a hybrid--not as harsh as condenser or as
smooth as cold light.  I know it sound a little funny to bemoan having
*only* a Focomat, but when I really get started, I may well search out a
cheap enlarger with interchangeable heads so I can use cold light again.
This is all Fred Picker stuff.  Some of the old-timers will remember him.
Another tip I learned from Picker (The Zone Six Workshop) is to use an
enlarging lens (a good one--I preferred Schneiders to any others I tried)
that are meant for one size larger negative.  Thus, a lens intended for 6x6
(6x4.5 wasn't available then) is best for 35mm.  You get more coverage
through the "sweet spot" of the lens, and none from the less sharp edges.
This is what I did (along with Selenium toning and some other esoterica).  I
hope it helps you and that others on the list will feel free to "correct" me
if better stuff has come along.  (I've never noticed much bashfulness on
this list for offering alternatives, often better ones.)
Regards,
John Pendley