[OM] OM-1 Black Metal Body Cap?

Subject: [OM] OM-1 Black Metal Body Cap?
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:05:57 -0700
Frank & Wayne & others,

This particular cap looks to me to be an authentic Olympus product. It
does not say "For Olympus" or "OM" as most after market caps say.  The
front is flat with a chrome looking circle which is just slightly
smaller than the circumference of the cap itself.  The edge of the cap
is machined to have serrated type of grip. It has the red dot alignment
mark on the very outside edge.  The 3 pronged bayonet mount is exactly
like all other newer body caps in plastic. It even has an identical
screwed in stop like all of the OM lenses.  The machining is so good
that the fit to the body is as tight as any lens.   On the back of the
cap is these words in circular format "Metal Camera Body Cap  Japan"  In
the center in straight lettering is "OLYMPUS OM-1"  The word Olympus
appears to be in the official Olympus font style.  "OLYMPUS" is on the
top line and "OM-1" is on the line beneath. I would be surprised is this
was not an official OM-1 body cap.  If it was made by a third party they
would have spared no expense in producing such a high quality item. It
would seem much less expensive to just mold these out of plastic.
What's most remarkable about this cap is it's fine machining and
attention to detail.  I know I've had this thing since 1981 and it
appears to be holding up it's appearance very well.  My guess is that
this thing was probably made in the early 1970's.  Obviously this is the
only one like this I can remember seeing.  I did buy an OM-1 new in 1974
(prior to MD model) and I honestly don't know what happened to the body
cap.  Knowing me back then I probably tossed it.  After attaching the
50/f1.8 lens I saw no need for it.  I discovered this in some moving
boxes when I moved from Northern to Southern California in 1981.  Could
it be my original OM-1 body cap from 1974?  I honestly can't say.  I
just have no recollection of body caps back in the '70's.  Must have
been the partying. Oh well I'm hoping a very wealthy eccentric Japanese
collector is lurking on this board  and will offer me a small fortune
for this truly rare specimen so that I can can purchase some food and
necessities after paying my taxes.  Otherwise I will donate it to an
international camera museum for the entire world to enjoy after my
demise.  Any ideas for displaying this rare gem?

Phillip Franklin