Re: [OM] Dale Labs: slides from negatives (OT) -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Dale Labs: slides from negatives (OT) -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:31:13 -0400
Whether making slides from negs or duping original slides, a second generation
copy will never be as good as the original. It could, however, be good enough.
If your projecting the slide, a good copy will probably be acceptable and avoid
fading your irreplaceable original. If you want to make the absolute best 11x17
Ciba you can get, then the dupe will not quite get it. Nor, will many picture
buyers accept a dupe. You can make publication quality dupes and upsize them to
70mm or 4x5 and actually improve the potential of large prints made from them.
That ain't cheap. The other route to best possible duplicate quality is a drum
scan and LVT film recorder dupe. This is major bucks, however. For my part, I've
done N*ik*n Coolscans of 35mm negs upscaled them with Genuine Fractals and had
4k and 8k film recorder dupes done by a service bureau at $5 each. And no, they
aren't as good as the original in absolute terms, but this allows me to
Photoshop the image any way I want and then get media I can project with high
WOW factor.

>>> <MorrisMini@xxxxxxx> 04/12/00 12:45pm >>>
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with Dale Laboratories in Hollywood, Florida?
In "Outdoor Photographer", their ad says they make slides from Kodacolor or
Fujicolor print negatives.  If it works, and the quality is as good as slides
taken with slide film, it would be nice go have the extra latitude afforded
by the print film.  I've sent for a mailer to try them out, but would like
some input from the list if there are any customers.

By the way, their phone is 800-327-1776, website is www.dalelabs.com

-Tim Clark