Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;) (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;) (long)
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:56:03 -0400
Olaf wrote:

> Finally, you ask: how did you get all that stuff past Gioconda without
> getting busted? Well, I had to invent a clever introduction scheme, for
> smuggling stuff in these quantitities past her, without having to sleep
> alone for a month...

Oh, you poor, naive fellow.  You actually think you got away with it, don't
you?  You're so bold, you're even recording your misdeeds in writing and
broadcasting them world-wide.  Oh, my boy....

This is like the movie villain who, rather than just shoot the hero to death
quickly and efficiently, is moved to hold the hero at bay for a few dramatic
minutes in order to confess, explain his motives, and brag about his
criminal cleverness.  This always gives the hero enough time to turn the
tide.

Similarly, you have fallen into the trap of pride, my friend.  Trust me,
your beloved...but apparently dangerous...Gioconda knows of your Olympian
excesses.  She knows when and where you obtained each and every item.   She
has inventoried each piece.  She knows their purchase and resale values
better than Sotheby's.

You may not become painfully aware of her intimate knowledge of your
treasures for days, weeks, months...perhaps even years.  But, someday it
will be used as weapon of indisputable force; used to build an impregnable
wall.  Someday, Gioconda will want something.  A new car, perhaps.  A
holiday in the South Pacific.   A new house.  The freedom to pursue a new
career or.....  It matters not how trivial or extravagant her wish may be.
If you, my friend, offers even the slightest hint of resistance, she will
lower your Olympus collection upon your head like a rain of meteors.   You
can never escape.

Sympathetically,

Craig Roberts
Boston